Factors that affect Marketplace plan prices
Written by Katie Carpenter
Dec 9, 2013 4:12 PM
- Where you live: Due to competition, cost of living, and local regulation.
- Age: Older people can be charged up to 3 times more for premiums than younger people.
- Family size: Insurers can charge more for a plan that covers a spouse and/or dependents.
- Plan category: (metal plans in the Marketplace) categories based on how you and the plan can expect to share the costs of care.
- Tobacco use: Insurers can charge tobacco users up to 50% more than non-tobacco users.