Understanding your health benefits
Written by Katie Carpenter
Dec 9, 2013 5:29 PM
Andy Seebold, Director of Business Services at WellSpan Health, says that newly-covered Pennsylvanians should educate themselves about how to make the most of their new health benefits. Because, health insurance not olny protects them financially in case of an emergency, but it can actually help them stay healthy and save money in the long run.
Tips for understanding your health coverage:
- Look at the Summary of Benefits document to better-understand what’s covered.
- Look at the explanation of benefits to see if you care matches your medical bill.
- Establish a relationship with a primary care doctor.
- Show your health benefits card every time you seek care.
- Look at your test results and ask your doctor questions if you don’t understand something. Many health systems have electronic medical records that allow you to view your results securely online.
- Take advantage of the benefits your insurance company may offer, like reduced gym memberships and wellness websites.