PinnacleHealth's free skin cancer screenings 5.11.13
PinnacleHealth | 04.25.13
HARRISBURG, Pa. (April 23, 2013) -- PinnacleHealth will offer free skin cancer screenings Saturday, May 11 from 9-11:30 a.m. on the 3rd floor of the Medical Science Pavilion, PinnacleHealth Community Campus, 4300 Londonderry Road, Harrisburg.
During the screenings, physicians certified by the American Board of Dermatology will check exposed areas of the skin for both pre-cancerous conditions such as actinic keratosis and skin cancers. Areas of particular concern include the backs of the hands, the face, the rim of the ear, the lips and mouth --- all areas which receive significant sun exposure.
Free exams are provided by PinnacleHealth and supported in part by the Holman-Watson Fund, an annual fundraising event to support care at PinnacleHealth Regional Cancer Center.
Exams are by appointment only. Please register by calling the PinnacleHealth oneLine at (717) 231-8900.
More than 3.5 million cases of basal and squamous cell skin cancer (the most common types) are diagnosed in this country each year. Skin cancer can be found early, and both doctors and patients play important roles in finding skin cancer. If you have any of the following symptoms, tell your doctor.
- Any change on your skin, especially in the size or color of a mole, growth, or spot, or a new growth (even if it has no color)
- Scaliness, oozing, bleeding, or a change in the way a bump or nodule looks
- The spread of pigmentation (color) beyond its border, such as dark coloring that spreads past the edge of a mole or mark
- A change in sensation, such as itchiness, tenderness, or pain
About PinnacleHealth System
PinnacleHealth is a pioneer not-for-profit healthcare system dedicated to providing and improving the health and quality of life for the people of Central Pennsylvania since 1873. A proven leader in medical innovation, PinnacleHealth offers a wide range of services from primary care to the most complex surgeries and Magnet recognition for nursing excellence. The healthcare network includes four campuses (Community, Cumberland, Harrisburg and Polyclinic) and medical services, including family practice, imaging, outpatient surgery and oncology, at multiple locations throughout the region. For a complete list of services, visit our website at www.pinnaclehealth.org.
Published in Get Involved
You may also be interested in...
- Doctors eye legislative drug (tracking) deal
- Health care workers learn how to adjust to different cultures, races
- Smart Talk: Suicide and mental illness
- Pennsylvania's painkiller guidelines for cancer patients graded same as 2006
- How to prepare for getting sick on a summer vacation
- ALERT: 1 in 5 Americans will Develop Skin Cancer