Geisinger directors approve Lewistown merger
The Associated Press | 06.24.13
(Lewistown) -- Geisinger Health System is expanding its presence in central Pennsylvania.
The Geisinger Health System Foundation's Board of Directors has approved a merger with Lewistown Hospital. Terms of the agreement call for Danville-based Geisinger to keep the hospital in Mifflin County open as an acute care facility.
Investing more than $50 million in capital improvements and keeping the School of Nursing open are among other terms of the deal.
Geisinger president Glenn Steele Jr. says the system is looking forward to building on its long presence in the Lewistown market.
The merger must now be approved by state health officials and the attorney general's office. The deal is expected to be finalized in the next three months.
You may also be interested in...
- Report highlights shortcomings in PA emergency care
- Physicians group says ER care is getting better
- Capital BlueCross, PinnacleHealth System team up to bring employers a new health insurance option
- Smart Talk: Is there a shortage of doctors in PA?
- Employer mandate won't apply to volunteer fire companies
- Link roundup: Health reform on January 1 2014