Geisinger directors approve Lewistown merger
The Associated Press | 06.24.13
(Lewistown) -- Geisinger Health System is expanding its presence in central Pennsylvania.
The Geisinger Health System Foundation's Board of Directors has approved a merger with Lewistown Hospital. Terms of the agreement call for Danville-based Geisinger to keep the hospital in Mifflin County open as an acute care facility.
Investing more than $50 million in capital improvements and keeping the School of Nursing open are among other terms of the deal.
Geisinger president Glenn Steele Jr. says the system is looking forward to building on its long presence in the Lewistown market.
The merger must now be approved by state health officials and the attorney general's office. The deal is expected to be finalized in the next three months.
You may also be interested in...
- Penn State Hershey and Pinnacle may expand relationship
- Improving care transitions
- Doctors propose database to deal with psych bed shortage
- Eight midstate hospitals recognized for high quality care
- State awards grant to Penn State's Hershey Campus
- A call to assess how mental health services are delivered in PA