Age Wave Initiative of Lebanon County is blogging
The Age Wave Initiative | 06.26.13
Age Wave Initiative hopes to inform the public about resources available for successful aging.
Lebanon- Now there is a site where Baby Boomers and seniors can go to learn about information and resources which will help them prepare for aging, such as alternatives to moving to a nursing home or how to have a meaningful, satisfying life at any age.
The Age Wave Initiative of Lebanon County’s new blog will be the go-to place for area residents to keep up with the Age Wave Initiatives projects as well as information about related work, links to other web sites and resources. The blog will operate as the Age Wave Initiative’s web site. There will be at least a blog post on a monthly basis on one of the Age Wave Initiative’s areas of focus:
- Lifelong Learning (which addresses Employment, Training and Voluntarism)
- Long-Term Living (which addresses Health Care and Long-Term Care)
Area residents will be able to respond to the posts with their own comments or information. Through this media, the Age Wave Initiative hopes to inform the public about resources available for successful aging but also to build an awareness of the Age Wave Initiative.
The group realized that there are opportunities to have a positive impact on the quality of life in Lebanon County.
A recent blog highlighted Accessory Dwelling Units. These are small, free-standing dwelling units which can be added on one’s property so Mom or Dad can live nearby for support and companionship while maintaining their independence and privacy. The unit could also be the conversion of a garage or the addition of a room on the main dwelling for the same purpose.
The Age Wave Initiative of Lebanon County was organized a year and a half ago when local leaders recognized the need to plan for the huge changes in community resources and services which will be created by the Baby Boomers aging. The group realized that while there is much beyond their control, there are opportunities on the local level to have a positive impact on the quality of life in Lebanon County.
Age Wave Initiative co-founder Kathleen Wall explained:
“By doing something, we felt less overwhelmed or powerless by the demographic changes. This is our way to make a small, but significant contribution in Lebanon County.”
The Age Wave Initiative is an informal group of businesspeople and interested individuals who meet regularly to work on projects. Examples are:
- Zoning ordinance to allow for more variety of housing options while still preserving the integrity of the neighborhood.
- Coordination of care to improve end of life care and to honor people’s choices
- Disseminating information about free or discounted classes, such as computer and volunteer opportunities.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also be interested in...
- Lebanon VA tries to fight perception that all VAs are bad
- Smart Talk: The future of long-term care
- 10 Central PA community success stories
- Capital BlueCross, PinnacleHealth System team up to bring employers a new health insurance option
- Employer mandate won't apply to volunteer fire companies
- Community Food Project York 1.23.14