A Summer Reid: One book club's thoughts
Katie Carpenter | 08.21.13
As part of the Summer Reid program, residents across Central PA are reading and discussing T.R. Reid’s “The Healing of America: A Global Quest for Better, Cheaper, and Fairer Health Care.”
The book compares affordable universal health care systems in other developed countries like Japan, germany and France to health care in the U.S.
We checked in on one of the book clubs that are reading and discussing the book, to find out their thoughts about the book and how we can make improvements to our own country in order to deliver higher-quality care that is accessible more people.
Kate Hufnagel, a member of one of the book clubs, says, "My first takeaway was 'Isn’t it great that here we have five other countries that are looked at in-depth with the same same problem of- how do we provide adequate basic healthcare in an affordable manner to our population?' And, they all had answers that worked!"
Here’s what Kate's book club is learning from the book:
More about the summer reading program:
Aligning Forces for Quality - South Central PA has teamed up with the Central PA library systems, as well as WITF to encourage residents to start discussing health care in our communities and ideas for making improvements.
Read T.R. Reid’s “The Healing of America: A Global Quest for Better, Cheaper, and Fairer Health Care.”
After reading the book, participate in a discussion using this T.R. Reid Discussion Guide and complete a survey to be entered into the drawing.
All surveys must be submitted by August 30, 2013! You could win a chance to meet Reid himself! Scroll down for more information!
And, don't miss T.R. Reid on witf!
- Reid will be a guest on witf 89.5’s Radio Smart Talk hosted by Scott LaMar at 9 a.m. on Thursday, September 12, 2013.
- He will also appear on Smart Talk hosted by Nell McCormack Abom on witf TV 9 p.m. Thursday, September 12, 2013.
Tell us: Have you been reading the book this summer? What's your biggest takeaway from the book? What can be done to improve our own health system? Please share your thoughts and ideas in a comment below!
You may also be interested in...
- What's this talk about Medical Consumerism?
- 2014 Farm to Table Dinner a Great Success
- Data used to push for Medicaid expansion in Pa.
- Governor Corbett questions whether politics will play role in Medicaid decision
- What about your vacation healthcare needs?
- WATCH: I'm Here With You: A Forum on Children and Grief