Diet and childhood obesity
Katie Carpenter | 09.17.13
1 in 3 kids ages 2-19 are overweight or obese and 50% of obese kids are obese as adults. Obesity increases risk of serious diseases… like type II diabetes. And, it takes a toll on mental health.
One key factor in this epidemic is poor diet. Let's take a look:
5 tips for better nutrition:
- Eat meals together as a family. Did you know that eating breakfast is linked to better grades and behavior?
- Eat a rainbow of fruits & veggies for a variety of nutrients.
- Ditch the junk food & have healthy snacks on hand.
- Cut out soda, and increase H2O.
- And, Involve the kids in making healthy choices.
"When it comes to health, it’s a family affair!"
Click here to watch an animated video about exercise and childhood obesity.
Explore the Transforming Kids' Health infographic to learn more about building a healthy lifestyle with your child. Click on the image below to see the infographic: