10 Central PA community success stories
Katie Carpenter | 01.17.14
Central PA communities have inspired us with the unique ways that they are encouraging better health and helping to make healthy choices easier!
We're celebrating community health in this video roundup of 10 inspirational stories! Take a look to get some inspiration about how you can get involved to help make your own community a healthier place to live, work, and play this new year!
1. The Greenhouse is a community organization that is dedicated to recovering food that would otherwise be wasted, preserving the food by canning, freezing or dehydrating, and then sharing the food with community groups and charity organizations that serve people in the community that need it most.
2. Time for Health: How communities, workplaces and schools are focusing on health.
3. The Girls on the Run (GOTR) program is a running-based youth development program, designed to instill an appreciation of health and fitness, and build confidence.
4. Time Banking re-weaves community: Time Banking founder, Edgar Cahn, explains how this new community model uses units of time as currency. It is a skill-exchange that also builds relationships and ultimately, community.
5. Lancaster Farmacy is a four-acre medicinal herb farm in Lancaster County that provides a Community Supported Medicine program to people across the East Coast. They strive to re-connect people to the nourishing traditions of folk medicine.
6. Roads to Freedom is a summer-long program that encourages children and parents to get outdoors and be physically active by engaging in an adaptation of letterboxing, a hobby in which participants must follow written clues to locate hidden items.
7. In the kitchen at Central PA Food Bank, high school students are making whole-wheat pizzas with Chef Jackie Pestka, of Channels Food Rescue. These kids are part of The Arc, which provides real-world experiences to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
8. The CURE Champion Campaign aligns personal fitness goals with philanthropy, ultimately providing life-changing surgeries to children around the world.
9. Blue Zones in Central PA: Discover some exciting things happening right now in Central Pennsylvania communities that are helping us move more, eat healthier, be more joyful and live longer.
10. Roller derby is more than just a sport. It’s about building strength, confidence, better health and friendship together as a team.
Tell us: What's your own community doing to inspire healthier living? Have you been involved in transforming the health of your neighborhood? Please leave a comment below!
Explore more inspirational community success stories at our interactive wall of stories!