Smart Talk: What's behind hospital mergers?
witf.org, | 07.21.14
Pinnacle Health consolidates with the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. Holy Spirit Health System affiliates with Geisinger Health System. Good Samaritan Hospital in Lebanon joins up with WellSpan Health. There are just three of the latest examples of hospitals and health systems looking for partners in a changing healthcare environment.
The mergers, consolidations, and affiliations have been going on for some time but pressures to keep healthcare costs down and keep up with the latest treatments and technology seem to be driving more of them.
WITF's Smart Talk examined why bigger is apparently better in the eyes of the health systems teaming up and what it could mean for patients.
Appearing on the program, Andy Carter, president and CEO of the Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania.
Andy Carter, president and CEO of the Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania
Published in Healthcare Transformation
You may also be interested in...
- Doctors are now more facilitators than "sages on the stage"
- Listen now: Could new BMI message help fight childhood obesity?
- 8 Questions and Answers about Healthy Pennsylvania
- Same sex ruling impacts health care, too
- Smart Talk: Suicide and mental illness
- Smart Talk: Alzheimer's and the state's action plan